The days of smoking marijuana- stems, seeds, and all, are long gone. Today’s marijuana enthusiasts have embraced technology and ushered in a new era of marijuana consumption via vaporization.
Although the vaporizer has been around in various forms since the 1960’s, its popularity has exploded in just the last few years. In my home state of Colorado, where recreational marijuana is legal, you can’t even drive for 5 minutes without stumbling upon a vape store. They have become so popular, in fact, that many of my long-time toking buddies don’t even smoke if it isn’t out of a vaporizer.
Despite the growing acceptance of vaporizers in the public sphere, most people don’t know jack about how they work or what benefits vaporizers provide versus smoking marijuana through more “traditional” means.
Here are 5 interesting facts you didn’t know about vaporizers:
#1- Vaporizing eliminates harmful toxins
Did you know that 88% of the smoke carried into your lungs through combustion contains nearly 111 non-cannabinoid substances? Most of which do nothing to get you high and actually have a negative effect on your health.
A study published in 2007 describes how vaporization of cannabis provides the same amount of THC but reduced levels of carbon monoxide when compared to smoking.
When you vaporize marijuana, you’re actually only heating up the active ingredients you want and leaving the rest of the plant particulates behind. Therefore, you’re getting a cleaner hit and less of the junk that you don’t want in your lungs.
According to another study, researchers at the University of Albany and the University of Southern California discovered that cannabis users who vaporize are much less likely to have respiratory problems than those that smoke and are far less likely to develop symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
#2- 95% of vaporized gases are cannabinoids
Compared to smoking, vaporizing definitely gives you more bang for your buck. 95% of the vapor you get when vaporizing cannabis is smoke and carcinogen-free. The remaining 5% of inhaled vaporized gases are composed of PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) and caryophyllene, a fragrant oil found in most plants.
When you look at the difference between smoking and vaporizing, the numbers don’t lie. Vaporizing THC is certainly better for your health than combusting over 111 different chemicals by means of combustion.
#3- Vaporizing actually saves you money!
Yes, you read that correctly. Vaporizing your herbs uses only a small fraction of what you would have to burn in order to get the same high through smoking and because you’re getting a much stronger hit, you end up smoking less too!
As an added bonus, you can even reuse your herbs after you vape them. Many people will take the discards and cook with it. Although most of the THC is vaporized out of the bud, there’s a good chance that not all of it has been released from its sticky abode, so save yourself a nice heap of leftovers and make a delectable cannabutter out of it when you’re through vaping.
Trust me when I say that your wallet, lungs, and nug jar will thank you when you make the choice to ditch the bong and get yourself a vaporizer.
#4- Cannabinoids have a “sweet spot” for vaporization
The point of vaporizing marijuana is to get the active ingredients hot enough to vaporize while remaining cool enough to keep the rest of the plant from combusting. This temperate goldilocks zone is right around 338°F (170°C). Although most cannabinoids start to vaporize at around 141°C, the sweet spot lies between here and 200° where the marijuana plant itself starts to combust.
In order to avoid this combustion process most, if not all, vaporizers have a temperature adjustment control. Depending on the vape you have, you can either program the sweet spot manually or it will do it automatically.
Finding the right temperature to get the most out of your vape is purely a matter of trial and error, toking and poking. Once you’re in “the zone”, your munchies don’t stand a chance.
#5- Hospitals use vaporizers!
That’s right. In certain states where it’s legal, hospitals are allowed to use vaporizers to help patients suffering from all kinds of ailments. Most commonly prescribed for chronic pain (no pun intended), marijuana vaporization is the safest means of partaking and is also given to cancer patients going through chemotherapy and for treating glaucoma.
So the next time you wind up in the hospital for doing something incredibly stupid, instead of asking for expensive and addictive pain killers, politely ask the doctor for something a little more…herbal.